Sunday, August 31, 2008

Lessons learned

Have you ever had one of those days when you feel like you can only fail. A day where the only thing you have accomplished is to learn how not to do things. I feel like I have had a couple of those days in a row. Lessons learned... #1. Pulled pork sandwiches are quite simple to make and are perfect in the crock-pot after about 4 hours on high heat. After about 8 hours they are gross and only taste like soggy mush sandwiches! #2. Cakes only need to cool until they are cool. If you leave them out on the counter for several hours (even if it is because you have three children distracting you) the cake becomes very dry and un-tasty. #3. Gum paste is rather heavy. My cute little sheep below started out quite a bit taller and thinner. But that didn't bother me as much as when it sank into the top of the cake like quicksand and when I tried to save it, all its legs and curls fell off. That happened of course after I learned lesson #4 Jenna-grace will eat gum paste even if I tell her that it is play-dough, very yucky and not to touch it! The baby carriage on the front of the cake was supposed to have wheels and sit on the top of the cake. But after I glued it back together and filled in the cracks with frosting I didn't dare try to stand it up on its own.
All is well. No one complained about the pulled pork sandwiches, because they were all to polite to say anything (except Eric, but I still love him). I had time to remake the cake. And after I reassembled the poor little lamb, I had just enough gum-paste left to make a little blanky to hide a base for it to sit on. The curls aren't as well placed any more. But I think it was a great first attempt. And definitely a lesson just begun to be learned.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Heather said...

well - hannah thought the cake most lovely and wanted to see the photos over and over. i think it's so sweet and cute too. i know those kind of days when nothing goes quite right. sometimes i think i have weeks or months like that. good luck!

Christine said...

The cake looked geat! You are so talented.

Wheatley Family said...

LOL I have to laugh as I think of that day... I think I was there so that you wouldn't kill her!:)

Sarah (and a few others) said...

Jamie, I still love you.

jewly said...

It was a beautiful cake. Val told us the story behind the cake at the shower and we all felt bad for all the work you put into it, but it turned out in the end.